Who I Am

My photo
My students call me Professor G. I am in my fifth year as an English language and literature professor at the University level and I honestly love my job. I teach: Remedial English, English Composition, Research & Writing, World Lit. I: Short Stories & the Novel, World Lit. II: Poetry & Drama, and Spanish I (just for some extra flavor). This semester, Spring 2012, I am trying a new tactic with my three sections of ENG 120: English Composition--I will not lecture. I am defining a lecture as me, the professor, monologuing (with or without visual aids and notes) for more than 10 minutes. Follow my journey as I chronicle the successes and failures as I experiment with taking the lecture out of the classroom.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pharmacy, Schmarmacy



I'm officially, permanently moved down to St. Thomas. In the midst of the move, I faxed a Hippa release to my doctor's office so that I would have hard copies of my prescriptions faxed to me. Result: Fail.

Problem? I ran out of Savella, oh, say, Friday night. My doctor's office is closed Saturday, imagine that. I have a cute automatic voicemail from CVS telling me that my "Prescription is ready for pick-up," but that CVS is in Maryland, and I'm pretty sure they don't ship prescriptions. Also, I must point out that I specifically asked my pharmacist to stop any and all automatic refills since I moved out of the country. Result: Epic Fail.

So, I'm about 36 hours into withdrawal from Savella. If you don't know anything about the medication, it's important to know that this isn't the type of medicine you just go off cold turkey. Oooooh, no. You have to wean off of Savella a bit at a time, just like you start the med by slowly increasing the dosage over time. Needless to say, I'm less than thrilled by the prospect of the many possible horrific withdrawal symptoms I may endure by the time I get the Rx refilled (or if?).

I've been feeling a tidbit fatigued and at the end of my run this morning (a measly 1.5 miles, and that's probably generous) my body did that fun thing where everything turns to lead and I feel like I'm going to fall over and pass out from sheer lack of muscle control. It's really quite fun, I must say.

In an effort to at least sleep all the way through the night last night (I've been waking up way too much during the night, due in part, I think, to the obnoxiously loud, yet ineffective, AC unit in the house that the landlord has yet to replace), I took 1mg of melatonin--instead of my usual .5mg--and a muscle relaxer. I took the Soma as much for muscle issues as for sleep, as my neck and back had been warning me all day of an inevitable spasm episode. Sleeping Beauty had nothing on the sleep I had last night, even including the 7:45AM potty break I took, before passing out again until 10AM. Mmmmm...bliss.

And now, I am hungry. Back to play with the doggies (who are still trying to figure out what would possess their normally caring and loving parents to move their very furry Huskey-Chow mix dogs to the Caribbean--the plaintive looks are something to be reckoned with!) and make some lunch with A for the rest of the lazy Sunday rain day. Oh yeah, it's raining today. Oh well, back to sunny paradise tomorrow, I'm sure!

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment